Followers

Monday, March 12, 2012

Ipads in the Classroom

The first few days after receiving my Ipad i will admit that they were less of a tool than a distraction. I wanted to try every app, play with the pictures, and figure out the music. Once the initial shock of having my very own Ipad had worn off, i began to realise what an incredible resource i now had access too. Every calculation, note, lecture, and process can be recorded. When a friend of mine missed school, the needed notes she missed were easily copied and emailed to her in less than a minute. I have instant access to online books and textbooks if I forget my own. I can visit any city in the world on Google Earth and see countless maps detailing histories of a variety of things with World Maps. My notebooks have long been disorganized and useless. My Ipad has the notes from all my classes neatly labled out and organised. Handouts can be photographed and stored as images. Equations can be recorded step by step and replayed to help as you attempt to solve them on your own. Not only has the Ipad helped me with organization and enthusiasm to take notes, but also I have realised how many trees we are saving without the constant need for paper. The information i have access to on the Ipad is as fresh as it gets. The texts and scientific knowledge are as accurate as possibile, unlike those in textbooks. Every time important news is known, i recieve a notification relaying these event, forming more wordly and up to date students. The ipads are helping us improve our technological savviness and overall education, as well as increasing the enjoyment in school.

1 comment:

  1. After nearly two months with the technology given to me by the school some of the pros of having the device have clearly surfaced, as well as some obvious negatives.  As a member of Ms. Lester's APUSH class I received an iPad to use as a tool in not only her class, but all of my classes.  So far, some of the many positives that have come about as a result of me having the iPad are:

    - Neat and Organized note taking in all of my four classes

    - Ability to access the Internet quickly, especially when other sources are much slower or entirely unavailable

    - Easy to collaborate and connect with fellow classmates and teachers

    - Simple electronic datebook with reminders and due dates

    - Gives me the ability to have my own device at home, that I do not have to share, so I can get things done

    - access to many classical novels digitally

    - Introduces me to helpful advanced technologies


    Some Negatives of the iPad include:


    - a BIG initial distraction

    - Much time spent troubleshooting

    - Difficult to learn how to operate

    - Some apps are still unavailable (althought they've done a great job listening to our requests and helping us out )

    - Teachers are sometimes unnecessarily objected to our usage




    OVERALL, I would say that so far the iPads have been a very appreciated and helpful tool in my studies.

    ReplyDelete